Sunday 16 February 2014

Kuih Bahulu


Hi

Being a home baker, we can bake anything that we like at any time and we don’t have to wait until CNY to enjoy the festive goodies.
Kuih Bahulu is one of the goodies that are so well liked by small children.  But when my 2 big boys saw these, they were so fascinated by it.  Not because they like this very much.  But it reminded them this was their childhood favourite.  They are glad that I made it. 
I kept some aside for my niece and nephew and had finished the rest during our tea break.  My boys love to eat it with cold fresh milk and for me I prefer it with my Teh O.
I have tried 2 recipes but I prefer Kimmy’s (Cooking Pleasure) one.  However, I replaced icing sugar with caster sugar as I was running out of icing sugar.  I’m wondering whether is there any different in texture from the original.

HAPPY BAKING!

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs
90g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
90g plain flour + ¾ tsp of baking powder

METHOD

(1)Whisk eggs at full speed for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.

(2)Add in sugar and vanilla essence, continue to beat for 1-2 minutes until thick and creamy.

(3)Sift in flour in 3 batches and fold with a hand whisk [do not overmix].

(4)Preheat oven at 200°C with the kuih bahulu mould.

(5)Lightly brush oil onto preheated mould.

(6)Using a small spoon, scoop batter to fill mould just to the top level.

(7)Baked for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.

(8)Remove cake from mould with a skewer to cool on rack. 

(9)Repeat Step 5-7 until batter is finished.

(10)Store in airtight container.



6 comments:

  1. This was one of my childhood favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 这是我喜欢的小蛋糕来的。嘻嘻嘻 。。。。。。

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olá amiga,vim retribuir sua carinhosa visita ao meu cantinho.
    Obrigada,volte sempre e pegue o meu selinho de agradecimento!
    Beijos do Brasil, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy , so true ! Why wait till festive season , right ?! :D I've seen these kuih in some of my fave bloggers' site and yours certainly look just as delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy,
    Lovely kuih bahulu! I used to help my mom make this when I was young, help her to beat the eggs by hand, it was hard work!
    Yours look beautifully made, with lovely golden brown. And yes, I would go with teh-O as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,

    Your kuih bahulu looks so pretty! Doreen helped me to buy a few mould and I bought some from Singapore but haven't bake any yet!!! LOL! Love to try Kimmy's recipe too :D Thanks for your recommendation!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete