Tuesday 29 October 2013

Matcha Red Bean Swiss Roll


Hi

I must say that the success in making the Longan Cheese Swiss Roll at the 1st attempt was purely luck.  

Rolling a cake is really a challenge.  It’s not difficult to make the Swiss Roll but to roll the Swiss Roll is a great challenge.

I have failed several times.  It took me a few tries to get it right this time. Although it’s not as perfect as the Longan Cheese Swiss Roll, I’m rather happy with the outcome after so many tries.


I didn’t make the red bean paste (it is also called Azuki Bean) myself.  I bought it off the rack from my local baking supplies.  But I would like to try doing it one day as it can be used to make varieties of Japanese dessert.


The cake roll recipe is taken from 蔡老师 完美芝士, which I used it for Longon Cheese Swiss Roll.  But I substituted 15g of green tea powder with cake flour.

I’m including the recipe for making Azuki Bean.  It’s taken from Okashi, Sweet Treats made with Love by Keiko Ishida.


I hope you’ll like the cake.



INGREDIENTS

Cake Roll  (蔡老师 完美芝士)
3              Egg yolks
60g         Caster sugar
60ml       Fresh milk
40g         Corn oil
90g         Cake flour (75g cake flour and 15g Green Tea Powder)
3              Egg whites
¼ tsp       Cream of tartar

Fillings (by Keiko Ishida)
120g       Red bean paste
100g       Whipping cream (35% fat)
2 tsp        Castor (superfine) sugar

Making of Red Bean Paste
500g       Red beans (azuki)
430g       Japanese sugar (jo haku tou)
½ tsp       Salt


METHOD

Cake Roll
(1)Line a 25 x 35cm baking tray with parchment paper.  Preheat oven to 180°C.

(2)Combine egg yolks with 40g of sugar, stir in fresh milk and oil.  Then add in flour, mix until well combined.

(3)Whisk egg whites with 20g sugar and cream of tartar until stiff peaks is formed.  Gently fold egg white foam into yolk batter until well blended.

(4)Spread batter into prepared tray.  Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is baked.

Fillings
(1)Wash red beans well, then bring to boil in a pot of water.  Drain and place red beans in a saucepan.

(2)Pour in enough water to cover red beans and bring to a simmer over low heat for about 2 hours, skimming off the foam.  When the beans are soft, remove from heat and drain.

(3)Return red beans to saucepan and add sugar.  Cook over low heat and stir constantly for 5-10 mintues.  Add salt and mix well.  Spread paste out on a try to cool.  Weigh out 120g and store remaining paste in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator, or up to 2 months in the freezer.

(4)Whip whipping cream and castor sugar in a chilled mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.

Assemble the Swiss Roll
(1)Spread whipped cream in an even layer cover the entire cake and spoon red bean paste on it.

(2)Gently roll up the cake.  Wrap with cling film and place in the freezer to chill and set before serving.


I’m contributing this recipe to Cook-Your-Book and it is linked to Cook-Your-Books #5 hosted by Kitchen Flavours.




Cook-Your-Books is all about cooking or baking from your many cookbooks or magazines that you have collected over the years.  It’s time to get those books (or magazines) out of the shelves, and start to cook or bake.

7 comments:

  1. Been a while since I last rolled my swiss roll lol! I have tried Okashi's swiss roll recipe before and it produces great results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    Oh yes, I do like this cake! It looks perfectly done! I have been thinking of making swiss roll lately, but do not have the time yet! Maybe soon, hopefully!
    Thank you for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you've made fancy restaurant dessert from scratch....
    my father was suffering from diabetes and he just a fans of red bean
    that's why i thx to you sharing this recipe since i can control the sugar content and replace with sweetener

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes that is my favourite with lots of red beans

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy,
    Your swiss roll is beautifully rolled. I do agree rolling a swiss roll is a challenge but practice makes prefect :)
    I love matcha and azuki bean and your swiss roll is sure my kinda dessert.
    Hope i can grab a piece now..:D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,

    Nice to see another of your beautifully baked Swiss roll. Totally agree that Swiss rolls can be quite difficult to handle but nice to know that persistence and practice can give delicious rewards eventually.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredibly beautiful cake. And your photos are so sharp and nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete