Saturday 7 September 2013

Char Siu 叉烧肉


Hi


I must tell you this - Philip doesn’t pay me to advertise their Air Fryer Ok??  J

But I really want to say Philip Air Fryer is a very useful equipment in my kitchen that everyone at home uses it daily.  My 2 boys will grill beef or chicken patty and make their own sandwich after school.  They will also make hash brown and sometime they do their own french fries or heat up muffins for their afternoon snacks too.

Last weekend, I made this – Char Sui 叉烧 (Roasted Meat) again.  By the way, my family loves meat. 


The is from Niegella Lawson’s recipe but has been modified by Bake For Happy Kids for Cook Like A Star - August Theme.

The recipe called for pork tenderloin.  But I’m not sure tenderloin is from which part of the pig.  Serious!  I’m not joking.  The butcher in the wet market couldn’t help me too.  So I told him I’m making Char Siu and here he went gave me 五花肉 …. and again I’m not sure this is from which part of the pig.  

As I didn’t want to irritate him further so I simply just take it, pay and go without question.  I promise I’ll check it out if I’m making Char Siu again ok? J


These are the ingredients used for marinate.


INGREDIENTS

One tenderloin or 叉烧肉
4 tsp of Soy Sauce
2 tsp of Tomato Ketchup
3 tsp of Hoisin sauce
2 tsp of Sweet Sheery (use Hua Tiao wine instead)
2 tsp of honey
2 scant of dark mascovado sugar (can substitute this with dark brown sugar)

METHODS

(1)Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut the pork tenderloin in half across.  Place the pork in plastic freezer bag (as I don't have so I used clean plastic bag) and pour all ingredients to marinade. Make sure that the pork is well coated with the marinade and leave them in the fridge for at least 24 hrs.


(2) To cook the pork, preheat the Air Fryer to 220°C or 200°C (if using oven, remember to switch to full fan forced). Take the pork out of the marinade, reserving the marinade. Line a baking dish with tin foil and place the pork on it. Bake for 15 mins, then turn the Air Fryer down to 160°C or 150°C and bake the pork for another 20-30 mins.

(3) Transfered the pork onto a fresh foil-lined tray and bake for another 10 mins at 200°C. When the char siu ideal colour has been achieved, remove it from the oven and let it cool. When cooled, slice the pork into very thin slices.

(4)Heat the reserved marinate with low heat until thick and syrupy and used it to spread on top of the meat before serve. 

And, here you go a plate of delicious and yummy Char Siu.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Pork tenderloin refers to the major muscle along the central spine portion. It has least amount of fat compared to other cuts.

    I'm glad that you like this recipe :D Skinny, healthy and delicious. This can't be any better!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This is a good recipe!
      My hubby and children commented good and requested that I make this regularly :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy,
    The Char Siew looks awesome.
    Thanks for highlighting the Air Fryer. Was looking at it but wondering if it will become a white elephant in the kitchen; evidently not! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys can't handle my oven. Their food got burnt in the toaster most of the time.
      So Air Fryer is ideal for them. They grilled fish fillet and chicken wings for lunch too :D

      Delete
  3. This is one of those dish where you don't feel like you're missing out on anything because there are so many fab textures and flavours! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Amy,
    This post is very nice. I love the Char Sui. It is very delicious to look at. Thank you for sharing the ingredients and recipe. Hope your next recipe will published soon.

    ReplyDelete