Sunday 16 June 2013

Chocolate Pecan Brownies


The beauty of making Brownies is that you only need to use just one bowl, a wire rack and a spatula.  There's no need to pull out your electric mixer and it makes washing so easy.

During my 1st attempt of making brownies from my new oven, I have discovered that the size of the baking pan uses to bake brownies will affect the baking time.

The recipe instruction is 7" x 10" pan and bake at 170 Dec C for 35 mins.  As I don't have such pan, I replaced it with 7" x 7" baking pan and my brownies turned out to be under baked.  The middle is too watery and it's far to soft to cut.  Hence, I gradually increased the baking time to another 25 mins but it turned out too be hard - it was over baked and simply reached the point of no return!!

Brownies are not supposed to be cake-like.  It should dense with moist and not as gooey, and with just right amount of dry cracked crust on the top with deep chocolate flavor.  To retain the chewiness, just slightly under bake it for a minute or 2.  I'm glad that I have achieved such result in my 3rd attempts just before my boss's birthday.  I was so proud that I could bake for her as a birthday present this year.  Her hubby whatsapps to say that the brownies were very nice and it's so encouraging. 




Test it with a toothpick by inserting it into the center of the brownies to see if it's done.  The toothpick should have some batter and few moist crumbs sticking on it.  If the toothpick comes out clean, this will mean the brownies have been over baked.

Ingredients
(make a 7 x 10 baking tray)
  • 120g Unsalted Butter
  • 240g Fine Sugar (I actually reduced it to 170g)
  • 100g Dark Brown Sugar
  • 190g Dark Couverture
  • 1.5 tbsp Golden Syrup (use Tate Lyles brand)
  • 3 nos of Eggs
  • 170gm Plain Flour
  • 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder (use Manhatten brand)
  • 0.5 tsp Baking Powder
  • 80g Pecan Nut Chop

Medthod
  1. Place the butter, sugar, couverture and golden syrup in a bowl.
  2. Put the bowl on the Bain Marie and stir until is smooth.
  3. Mix the eggs until is creamy.  Remove the bowl from the Bain Marie and pour eggs into it.
  4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together and then  add into the mixture.
  5. Lastly, add in the chopped pecan nuts and mix it well.  Keep aside 30g of whole pecan nut to sprinkle on the top of brownies.
  6. Line the baking paper on the bottom of the pan.  Pour the mixture onto a baking pan* and bake at 170 Deg C for 35 minutes
  7. When it's baked, take it out from the oven and put it on the rack to cool.
* 35 mins for 7" x 10" baking pan.
* 45 mins for 7" x 7" baking pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment